Tuesday, March 13, 2012

New Music Tuesdays - Bear in Heaven, Cursive, Claps

Bear in Heaven - I Love You, Its Cool

I have a pretty big bias when it comes to Bear in Heaven for the simple fact that they make excellent music. Deeply layered, catchy lyrics and the right amount of fuzz makes their newest album, I Love You, Its Cool, a must buy for any hipster and non-hipster. Not saying that this is for everyone, but if you want to venture out into a world of new audio then one definitely wants to run into Bear in Heaven. If you had to compare their sound they would be comparable to bands like Animal Collective and Radiohead.

I Love You, Its Cool is a great album. Stand out tracks like Cool Light and Idle Heart really captivates the entire feel of the disc. It sounds like the making of this album was a labor of love and you can hear the fun embedded in every track. If you have never heard of Bear in Heaven this new album is a great way to start. I haven't had the pleasure of checking these guys out yet, but this Brooklyn based band does have a show at the Echo (in LA) coming up in April, hmmmmm. While I ponder best be sure I am listening to Bear in Heaven's I Love You, Its Cool.

Cursive - I Am Gemini

As 2012 ends there are a couple of significant things that are happening, the aligning of the planets, a new installment of Sin City, and we as a civilization are moving from the house of Pisces to the astrological sign of Aquarius, apropos the 1969 hit Age of Aquarius by the 5th Dimension. What does this have to do with Cursive's newest album I am Gemini? Nothing really I just like talking about that song and 2012.

Cursive's newest album, I am Gemini is full of short songs. There is only 1 track that breaks the 5 minute mark. This is not a bad thing by any means, these shorts spurts of audio excellence has shaped I am Gemini to a tight, under 45 minute album that would make any drive on the 101 (or any road trip) that much more exciting. Cursive has a distinct sound, but has been able to play with their style making songs like Wowowow, The Cat and Mouse, and Drunken Birds. My prediction on I am Gemini in 2012 is: Any Cursive fan is going to love this new album and it should tear up the College charts.

Claps - Wreck

Elecro is fun. Elecrto is old. Electro is back. Does that make new Electro retro? Claps play Electo. Claps have a new album, Wreck and its Electo. Its new but feels retro. Minimalism through analog sounds plus synthesizers makes me smile. Thus I like Electo and like the new album from the Claps.

No comments:

Post a Comment